Free Web Counter
Web Counters

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Tomorrow I’m on clear liquids. Then Friday I have a colonoscopy. Nothing is wrong. I have no symptoms, and I’m rather young for this, but my doctor thought it advisable to have one now since my mom had her run in with colon cancer last year.

There’s a little apprehension. Mostly I see it as an initiation. In a culture curiously devoid of rites of passage, this seems to be one of the few experiences that clearly qualifies you for adulthood. There also appears to be a fraternity or club of folks out there who have experienced this particularly unpleasant test. Everyone without exception who has had a colonoscopy has remarked to me some version of "it’s not the test, it the day before." I suppose I shall be the same.

I see tomorrow as something of a challenge, drinking these four liters of disgusting stuff that will clear out my system. I’m ready for that. However, in the last few days it has finally struck me that this test will have results. And that is what seems different.

I have no reason to think anything is wrong, but then again, neither did my mom.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

My brother had one. Just before it started, he told the doctor, "Look--just get in and get out."

1:41 PM, January 04, 2007  
Blogger Rainbow dreams said...

Hope it all went well, I've been there too! an experience best left behind...
have a lovely weekend :)

5:40 PM, January 06, 2007  
Blogger haptown said...

I saw you yesterday - so I guess you survived the colonoscopy. Hope all is well.

11:43 AM, January 08, 2007  
Blogger valis said...

Just got the all clear from the doctor's office today. They found a couple of small polyps while in there and removed them and sent them off to be tested. Everything was pretty routine.

I think the test was kind of like when someone tells you a movie is fantastic and you go see it and it doesn't live up to expectations. I'd heard so many horror stories, the real thing was not enjoyable, but not that difficult compared with what I expected.

The weirdest thing was that I got a sheet of photos as a souvenier. I think I would have been fine if I'd gone through life and never seen a reflex internal view of my rectum or shots of mucosal abnormalities on my colon wall.

12:44 PM, January 11, 2007  
Blogger wordsonwater said...

You know, I've been through this three times and have never gotten any pictures. I feel cheated. My sister got pictures and my husband got pictures, but of course they both had polyps. I guess my colon just isn't interesting enough to photograph. Bummer.

Glad everything went well.

7:53 AM, January 12, 2007  
Blogger Jeff said...

Well...are you going to post any pictures?

And what other writing ideas are you spending time on?

1:09 PM, January 12, 2007  
Blogger Rainbow dreams said...

Pleased all was well - I never got any pictures either lol :)

5:22 PM, January 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home